NB CABERFEIDH

NB CABERFEIDH
MY BOAT

Thursday 2 December 2010

The Seven Year Itch ?

I sat here the other night (at home), staring out the window at the snow, it's -16 degrees out there, and my thoughts are with those out there on the cut. How are they coping ?  god, I've so much to learn if I'm to be one of them next year. ''Can you imagine being out there on our boat right now'' I said to Brenda, -'' No bloody chance'' says she, as she turns the thermostat up a few degrees.  Mrmm, not the right time to tell her that that's my intention then, eh ! ?  She has me by the proverbial testiclaires, as they say, as she has had full control of my life and where I go, since my accident. She does all the driving to and fro, has been steering the hireboats whilst I did the locking, ( I have to rest the paralysed right arm after  my last operation, to allow the transplanted muscle & tissue to grow). Damn, that driver, gone are the days when I could just jump on the motorbike, with tent on my back, and disappear for a few days.
We celebrated our 7th anniversary last week, both of us had come out of a previous bad relationships, and been on our own for years. I'd swore blind never to go down that road again, but here I am.  Apart from boats,we always had shared interests, and she was a regular pillion passenger on my trips to the MCC rallies. Don;t get me wrong she likes the boat, once I persuaded her to join me, but sees it as a holiday destination, escape, and not as I do, as a way of life. ''You love that boat more than you love me'' she just said, and I blush, she could be right ! Oh oh, I feel a guilt trip comin on. I almost feel that I'm having an affair, and I've just been caught out.I have already planned the 'new name trip' for next year, the route, places to see, things to do, features like the Pontcysyllte aquaduct,Anderton Boat lift etc just to say 'I've done that'.

So, we need to talk, and as the time draws nearer, I have to decide if I could go it alone, theres plenty out there who've done it, and I'm sure if I get stuck then I could always ask help from the many people I've met out there, and those I've yet to meet. Will she, won't she ? We'll see. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment